What Ever Happened to Serene Saturdays?

Sitting here this morning, drinking my coffee, I begin to think of Saturday's past. Those days when you could sleep in and not have to worry about where you had to be or what you had to do. It almost seems like a dream to me now; those days have slipped away like the proverbial thief in the night.

When I was a child, and even into my teens, I would wake up late on Saturdays, turn on Saturday Morning Cartoons and eat a bowl of my favorite cereal. I would eventually venture outside to spend time with my dog Scotty and enjoy the wonders that God and nature had brought to my day. Today, my Saturdays are quite different. I wake up early, rush to feed everyone, ensure we have the right clothes for the day and then quickly head out the door to what ever activity awaits my family.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these crazy, fast-paced days. But there are times when I long for the serene Saturdays of the past. Those days when we didn't have to rush everywhere or scramble to the end of a long line, only to wait forever for our turn. It seems that our world is so out of sync anymore. We push through our lives in hopes that we can enjoy every second by continually busying ourselves with some activity. We forget that simply spending time with our loved ones should bring us joy. We don't have to hurry off to a game or constantly engage in some activity to be happy. Sometimes, we just need to BE!

As I contemplate those days of old, I must now venture into the bathroom to ready myself for one of my children's flag football games. An event I can only hope he will fondly remember when he is 40.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silly Forms of Inspiration: McDonald's Mocha Frappe